The small centers are one of my favorite parts of the poinsettia: instead of doing a standard yellow, as is normal, I used a variegated yarn to add just a bit of extra visual interest.
The stem is made a lot like the legs on my octopus, starting from where it is attached to the top and down through to the end. It was a bit more difficult than normal and has more structure because I'd attached a wire through the middle. This makes it a bit more opposable and gives it a better ability to stand on its own in a vase.
For this set, I made a bundle of two for my husband's grandmas. Bundling them together like a small bouquet I think makes them look just a bit more classy, and I really like being able to exercise my ability to knit and crochet in the same project. Honestly, these fusion projects just tickle me, and I wish I did them more!
The band was just a very simple round knit that can be removed so the flowers are separated. Since the knit has a bit more stretch, it seemed the appropriate way to do the band.
Overall, it was a very fun and challenging project, and I couldn't be happier with the results!