This one I made for the same person as the hammerhead sharks, and I had a ton of getting him done.
I used a very similar technique to the penguin I made a few years ago: mostly it is two connected spheres. But I've made a lot of changes to define it as an owl.
The first big change I made was simply where I started: normally, I start from the head and I work my way down, but to get the top of the head the right shape, I started at the bottom and I worked my way upward.
As it turned out, the wings were very similar to shark and fish fins, so the biggest issues I had with those was putting these into the narrow space between the body and the head. I connect each piece as I go, so nothing is sewn onto the animal, and getting the crochet hook and the yarn in at the right angle made it very tricky.
The beak was made with the same general dimensions as the start of a shark's head, so its execution was very similar to what I'm used to making. The feet were made with the same techniques that I used on my dragons. And the eyes were almost exactly the same as those I used when I made the penguin.
Even though so much of the design was borrowed from other projects, I'm really happy with how it all came together.