The biggest thing that has happened, is a trip into the country from about two and a half hours away. I'll spare the details, and get right to it. For a long drive with two people and a dog, my car is perfect, but for four people, it's simply close. There is a ton of backseat room and comfortable squishy seats. There are only two cup holders in the whole car.
I grabbed my G-hook, and I got started. I started by making a circle slightly larger than the diameter of a pop can, then crocheted up the sides of each cup caddy. I did a slight pattern with it to make it a bit more interesting for me, and to change how the colors in the variegated yarn would connect. I made each cup portion approximately 75% of the way up the can, so cans or tall coffee cups would be stable but easy to remove.
Then I started working on the body of the caddy. This took several trips to the car, since I wanted a tight and customized fit. The tight fit leans the cans against the center console so the cans stay upright.
I made it wide enough to go around both cups evenly, then I brought one side in to accommodate space for the rest of the center console. This gives it some extra stability, so the caddy is gripping the console.
This turned out to be a fun project to break up the monotony of the baby/kid projects I have had recently. It was a lot easier than I expected, and it is completely custom fit to the car! I like that all I would need is a picture of a console with the dimensions to make one for other vehicles. This brought my car from a 2 cup holder to a six, but I could so easily do another that would work with cup holders that flip down. out of the console's back. I'm excited to take this little project on the road another time!