This spool table was built with the integrity of its original form in mind. This was the spool that I first found and inspired me to work with this medium. Because it was the first, it wasn't with the group that I broke down. It was perfect for this little raw spool table.
It did have some problems: because it was on the side of the road instead of from a construction site, it was in rough shape. The top was gray and a little mossy, and the bottom was very weather-beaten and swollen from rain water. After drying for over a year, it was fresh enough to be used. I buffed, cleaned, and sanded all of surfaces before I started making my additions.
To make the bookcase feature, I added six dowels between the top and bottom. These were drilled in upward from the bottom to ensure they were secured and inserted into recessed holes in the top. To make this as functional as possible, I added swivel casters to the bottom. One of these has a locking wheel to prevent any runaway table problems.
To finish it off, I sanded once more to ensure a smooth finish. I stained the entire piece, and sealed it with several coats of polyurethane.