These mittens were made in conjunction with my Rib Cable Knit Hat, and while these have the similar details, these were a lot more difficult in construction. Hats and mittens aren't a hard thing for me, but figuring out the pattern placement for the cabling was a definite challenge on this pair. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I have it completely right, but I'm always making adjustments, and I think I know what to do with future incarnations.
As is typical, I started with the bottom of the mitten and used my extremely stretchy (and extremely easy) cast on. From there, I did a simple 1x1 rib cuffs.
Once into the hand, I started adding the cable rib detail, and I started sneaking in additional thumb gussets in the palm of the hand as an extra detail experiment. I then pulled out a section of the gusset stitches for the thumb. After closing the thumb and finishing the palm, I closed the top by testing a cast off.
The last piece of each mitten was the finger flaps. I added these by using an integrated tunisian crochet cast on to hide the pattern interuption between the main part of the hand and the fingers. After several more rows with the cabling, I closed the top similarly to the coordinating hat, and finished it off.
Overall, I love these. This is definitely a style that I want to continue to experiment with and refine.