1) I'm just about 29 weeks pregnant! If you follow my twitter (@handmadekatie), you may have already known with how many #pregnancy and #pregnancyproblems postings I've had. It's not been an easy ride... but that's what happens with identical twins! Gender is still a secret, but I will write that since they are identical, we are getting two of the same gender. So, I've been working on a few small things for the babes, but mostly it's been filled with wonder and plenty of awe. I'm so happy with the advances we've seen in medical science that has made this high risk pregnancy continue to last.
2) I graduated from The Art Institutes International - Minnesota in December with my second degree. This one is an AAS in Interior Design. There really should be no big surprises there, and I'm itching to use some of these new skills! I'm hoping to continue to advance my skills and my career here and elsewhere with the impending arrival of our babies. To check out my online design portfolio: click here.
The construction process itself was really fun and interesting: the final product really only has 5 "ingredients:"
- construction paper
- scotch tape
- tissue paper
- glue and water mix
- For those who may be insistent, I can include marker ink on the list as well.
From there, I attached the remaining cylindrical features to the main body and connective cone pieces. I tried to keep these transitions between sheets of paper as smooth as possible while striking a balance between strong enough to hold the weight of the candy (probably 90% of the total weight) and stay fragile enough for its inevitable destruction. I smoothed a lot of the areas by making sure the tapered cone sections would be close in size to each surrounding area.
I then went on to add some of the structural details: the flat sheet for the tail, additional connecting sheets for the back and head ridges, the feet, and the wings. These were some of the easiest areas to assemble, but really made the whole look cohesive. With the exception of the lower portion of the tail, these also were covered in tissue paper using a mixture of Elmer's School Glue and water (no need for Mod Podge, this works just fine).
For adding the tissue paper, this was one of the easier tasks, since the dragon was structurally complete, but it was one of the most time consuming tasks of the project. I divided the dragon into sections. I started with the head, neck, and tail ridges on one side, and painted the tissue paper in place with the glue/water mixture. In order to apply the same method on the other side, I had to let the first side dry, since this was a single sheet of construction paper.
Once the head and neck ridges were done, I started adding green tissue paper to the body. I started at the head and worked my way along the neck ridges toward the tail: making sure to steer under the wings. I applied one side at a time, and I was able to complete a side while the other dried, since this was a one-sided application. I avoided the legs and belly area, so I could make sure these would be completely covered as the kids would see the dragon from every angle, and I would need to approach this area later. To move forward, I had to wait for the body to dry.
Next, I moved on to applying a coating the wings. This process was much the same as the back ridges, but the tissue paper seemed to add some additional structure to the wings and hold these to look more like the dragon was flying. I couldn't have been happier.
After the wings dried, I was able to tip the dragon on its sides to finish the belly, legs, and feet. The small amount of two-sided application on feet allowed me to cover these all at once, and I was able to get a smooth transition from the legs and the belly to the rest of the body.
Once it was completely dry and essentially complete, something still seemed missing: so I grabbed some of my markers, added some green scale lines to the body, and finished it off with a set of eyes and quirky smile.
Overall, I am so happy with how this guy turned out, and I cannot wait to hear about how it fared in its slaying.