The first one I made is a giraffe. I think the proportions turned out really well! My next big goal with this one is to try to integrate the patches on his side into the overall pattern with the yellow yarn. I do a lot of that with knitting, but it is a skill I have yet to completely master with the art of crochet.
Like the owl, I did implement a lot of known techniques in its execution: the ears, horns, and snout are all very similar to the dragons I've made previously. The next step in re-executing this one will definitely be to experiment with some yarn patterns for the pattern in the fur, and to try something new with the legs so these don't seem quite so separate from the rest of the body.
I'm happy with how must of the body came out, this was another pattern with ideas borrowed from the dragon, except this time, I used the way the back legs are integrated into the body. This helped me get a more powerful look in the legs.
The other thing I'm going to experiment with is the mane itself. I am thinking of adding some small ears, but I'm also trying to find a way to make the mane a little fluffier without sacrificing the use of real stitches This just helps to keep the mane far more durable over time than loose yarn. In total, I think these both turned out pretty cute, and I'm looking forward to being able to experiment with these a little more.