They worked out well, and even though the thumb on the unfinished mittens looks a little weird, once finished, they look super cute.
The first mitten still had some grey showing through the red, but when I modified how I was setting it up, the grey started to disappear in the second mitten. There are only a couple spots where the grey is noticeable in the second mitten. It makes me glad that this pair is for a toddler! The fashion part isn't going to bother him at all.
Once the mittens were finished, the commission included a line connecting each pair that could reach around the back. I made the string about 30", since the measurement was about 27". That allows it enough room to grow a little.
For the eye, I used a coated metal to prevent any problems from the cold.
Since the connections between the mitten and the line are not integrated on this pair, my next modification will be to fully integrate the line connections into the mitten itself. It's a very simple modification, and I just have to add it when I cast on the outer layer.
So, the inner layer on the second pair - which will be bright blue - is already started. I am, of coarse, knitting them in the round. There are 24 stitches per row on the wrist done in a ribbed pattern. When I get to the hand portion, I increase to 30 stitches and switch to the moss stitch. I transfer stitches for the thumb, and the amount goes back to 24. Since the circumference of the wrist and the hand above the thumb is the same, it works out pretty well.