Since I started creating anatomically similar knit creations, I've struggled with getting the octopus quite right. This time, I think I've got it!
The first thing I did, was completely change the mantle. I made the top of the mantle much like I normally do, a little narrower and longer than the last time. Instead of closing it, I added stitches back in, changed one stitch on each side so she has spiracles, and I gave her a bit more of a face.
There weren't any other major changes: I increased the length of the legs by 2/3 to make them a little more proportioned to the new mantle, and I kept the purple eyes and beak. The legs at this length also have a lot more curl to them than my last few octopus attempts.