I've toyed around with dragons a little bit over the last few months, and I made a lot of improvements on my last one.
This one I made for my husband, after I finished my last dragon, he said that he wanted one for his desk at work. So, I did him in my shark blue with the forest green trimmings. As always, I added in the purple eyes.
Click "Read More" to continue after the jump!
The biggest change I made from the orange dragon to the blue was in how I crocheted the feet. I had tried to do a circular crochet for each toe on the orange one, but it is way too difficult to go around each toe with just two or three stitches. So, on this one I changed to a more flat stitch, and it turned out much better than my last shot.
I used the same concept on the front feet, but I was able to eliminate the top of the foot for each of the front feet, making them appear more like small claws.
I also played around with some of the body proportions. I made the neck two rows longer on the blue than on the orange, and I made the body a little longer to compensate. I adjusted how I increased and decreased stitches to give the slope of the body a little more consistency and to be inline with the proportions of the neck.
I think my favorite part of the design is the wings. The three sections and the structure definitely give them a little bit of edge, define them as dragons.
Overall, there are things that I'd keep from each one, and there are things I'd toss from each one. I'm definitely happy with the new design for the feet and the way I handled my decreases, but I would much rather keep my original neck length. The neck on the blue dragon seems to compete too much with the tail in length.
This is definitely a project I enjoyed, and I am so happy I can share it! These both turned out much better than I had expected, and although they are very time consuming, I'm excited to see when I'll have a chance to make another.