I've been working on a lot of different projects lately, and trying to work with different techniques and styles. On my "Heron Shore" piece, I was really able to work with what I love to create. In my planter, I felt lime I was doing an offbeat rescue mission.
"Heron Shore" really came out of wanting to get back to what I love to paint and keep in that theme after painting my pelican. This one turned out very true to the animal, as I see these all the time throughout the summer. These are beautiful birds, and one of my favorite types of waterfowl.
I mixed mediums once again on this piece, and I layered in acrylics and watercolors. I've found the truest way for me to really paint the water of the surface is to bring the inspiration into my medium by really focusing on using watercolors to bring out the ripples and reflections.
The bird and the reeds were primarily done with acrylics to give it a bold and solid form against the softness posed in the water.
My little planter really felt like a rescue mission for one of my spider plants. This one has been terrorized by my cat for a couple weeks, and after finding the little gray pot (Thank you, Target clearance!), I knew I had the perfect opportunity. The lightweight plastic made it easy since it didn't add a ton of extra weight to the project.
I used one of my favorite patterns and modified it to taper with the pot. I'm so glad that I finally mastered double crochet foundation stitches since that made it much easier to make the hanging straps.